Changes in your diet can change the physiological and chemical structure in our brain, thus can lead to a change in your mood. Whether you are being treated for depression or want a boost in your overall mood, add some of these foods into your diet.
- Dark leafy veggies and broccoli: Contains folate. A deficiency in folate has been linked to depressed moods.
- Dark Chocolate and Cacao: Contains tryptophan, serotonin, the love hormone (penylethylamine), and Anandamine (responsible for that beautiful rush you feel after exercising). Reduces stress hormones.
- Avocado: Said to be the happy fruit. They balance hormones. Rich in tryptophan, vitamin B and folic acid (which helps to turn the tryptophan into serotonin (the feel good chemical).
- Sunflower Seeds: Great source of folate and magnesium. Magnesium helps us have a calm and relaxed state; it also helps with insomnia, irritability, anxiety as well as a mood booster.
- Bananas: Rich in magnesium, tryptophan, and increased serotonin
- Salmon: Great for boosting your mood and the health of your brain. Contains B12 which helps in depression and being mentally healthy.
- Strawberries: Rich in vitamins A and C and magnesium; increasing serotonin.